In the 1770s, Winkfield had a parish workhouse able to accommodate up to 40 inmates.
Easthampstead Poor Law Union was formed on 27th July 1835. In 1928, James Wilder, 61, an inmate of the institution for more than six years, made a series of charges against the workhouse officials.
The main addition appears to have been a three-storey block, now demolished, at the rear of the main row of houses. Later additions to the site include an infirmary in 1869, and a board-room block in 1901. It joined the National Health Service in 1948 as Church Hill Hospital.
The building's layout at this stage appears to have resembled the cruciform layout popular for newly built workhouses in the 1830s. Both of these were located to the north-east of the workhouse. Although part of the site continues to operate as Church Hill House Hospital, the old almshouses and adjacent buildings have been refurbished and redeveloped as private residential accommodation.
Prices may be subject to booking fees and handling charges and may increase over time.
Berkshire Events Guide, local events, What’s On In Berkshire. Local public events, things to do with the Kids Children, charity fundraisers, live music entertainment, beer festivals, art exhibitions, craft fairs, wedding fairs, Halloween, Easter, Christmas markets and summer shows. What’s on in Berkshire, your source for events and entertainment for the Royal County of Berkshire.
He had originally planned to make the donation to the church of St Mary Magdalene and St Michael which stands opposite.
He apparently changed his mind after the local clergy refused to trim a overhanging tree in the churchyard which regularly knocked off his hat!
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] A parish workhouse once operated at Binfield, off Rose Hill. The above stone was in front of the old houses pulled down in 1826 while these were erected by the Marquis of Downshire in their stead.
Its location, as the "old workhouse", is shown on the 1881 map below. A local story has it that the clock-tower on top of the houses was donated by a local dignitary.