The area now hosts street markets and music venues which are strongly associated with alternative culture.
Camden Town is named after Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden.
Laid out as a residential district from 1791 and originally part of the manor of Kentish Town and the parish of St Pancras, London, Camden Town became an important location during the early development of the railways, which reinforced its position on the London canal network.
The area's industrial economic base has been replaced by service industries such as retail, tourism and entertainment.
Camden Lock is a regularly used traditional manually operated double canal lock operating between widely separated levels.
A large complex of weekend street markets operate around the Lock.
The markets are a major tourist attraction at weekends, selling goods of all types, including fashion, lifestyle, books, food, junk/antiques and more bizarre items; they and the surrounding shops are popular with young people, in particular those searching for "alternative" clothing.
Camden Town is contained in the following political constituencies for different purposes, listed with some incumbents as of 2017 Camden Town is on relatively flat ground at 100 feet (30 m) above sea level, 2.4 miles (3.9 km) north-northwest of Charing Cross.
To the north are the hills of Hampstead and Highgate.
, is closed to outbound passengers on Sunday afternoons for safety reasons.
London Underground has made many proposals to upgrade the station.