is a city in Jefferson County, Washington, United States.
The population was 9,113 at the 2010 census, an increase of 9.3% over the 2000 census. The bay was originally named "Port Townshend" by Captain George Vancouver (for his friend the Marquis of Townshend) in 1792.
Port Townsend's economy was very weak until the 1920s when a paper mill was built on the edge of the town.
The bay is now home to Naval Magazine Indian Island, the US Navy's primary munitions-handling dock on the Pacific coast.
By the late 19th century, Port Townsend was a well-known seaport, very active and banking on the future.
Many homes and buildings were built during that time, with most of the architecture ornate Victorian.
In addition to its natural scenery at the northeast tip of the Olympic Peninsula, the city is also known for the many Victorian buildings remaining from its late 19th century heyday, numerous annual cultural events, and as a maritime center for independent boatbuilders and related industries and crafts. The official European-American settlement of the city of the same name took place on April 24, 1851.Its port was large and frequented by overseas vessels, so shipping of goods and timber from the area was a major part of the economy.Many of the buildings were built on the speculation that Port Townsend would become a booming shipping port and major city.Buildings have been adapted for other uses, including the publicly available Olympic Youth Hostel, which closed in 2011.The Jefferson County Courthouse is in a Romanesque architectural style, as popularized by Henry Hobson Richardson, with a 125-foot bell tower.